Singapore is one of if not “the most” developed country in Southeast Asia. The country’s advanced development is in large thanks to the significant investment in the education of health of their people.
Singapore topped the Human capital Index (HCI) in 2018 that measures the resources that have been effectively allocated to the development of their people. It is a testament that shows Singapore has an admirable effort to invest in the education and health of its people.
Several universities in Singapore are also placed in the top 200 QS ranking universities. Solidifying their advancement in education in the world stage.
University and Higher Institutions
There are a total of 44 higher educational institutions in Singapore. These institutions can be classified into several types;
- Public universities, funded by the government but operate autonomously. Open to all local and international students.
- Private universities, privately funded with partial subsidiary available to students.
- Polytechnic institutions, offer practical diploma program for continuous learning or professional development.
- Institutes of technical education (ITE), offers technical education where students can develop technical skills and knowledge with courses such as part-time, full-time and employment traineeship.
- Foreign universities, offer undergrad and postgrad studies in Singapore with their main campus abroad.
- Arts schools, offer specialized art degree where students’ creative skills are enhanced.
Duration of different programs is as follows:
- Pre-U / Foundation program: 1 – 3 years
- Bachelor’s Degree: 3 – 4 years
- Masters Degree: 1 – 4 years
- Doctorate Degree: 2 – 5 years
Entry for Malaysian Student
The entry requirement for students depends on their qualifications. Students with SPM or GCE O-Levels may apply for Pre-U / Foundation program. For entry to Bachelor’s Degree programmes, students will need to have STPM, A-level, Diploma or equivalent.
English requirement differs according to the level of studies as well as institutions. In general, students should have a minimum of IELTS 5.5 or equivalent for undergrads studies.
Population: 5.612 million
Singapore is a major financial hub in Southeast Asia and they have one of the most advanced economies in the world. The country was ranked the world second most open economy by the Heritage Foundation and has the world second most pro-business regime by the World Bank.
The major economic driver in Singapore in the manufacturing sector. The sector has contributed up to 25% of the country’s annual GDP. The key industries are electronics, chemical, biomedical science, logistics and transport engineering.
The financial service sector is another economic driver of the nation. Home to more than 200 banks, the country has facilitated the transfer of knowledge, process, technology and skill through the entire region and internationally.